Why Choose the Simple Green EII Fund?
Our investment objective is to target companies in the Green sector. We define Green companies as those engaging in activities with a focus on renewable energy, energy conservation or social responsibility. We also invest in energy efficiency, waste management or technologies connected with these sectors.
1. Strong Fund Management team with proven experience in identifying above average investments
David Gavagan Founder and current Chief Executive of Hibernia Capital Partners, a venture capital fund of €75m which produced a number of investments that generated investor returns in excess of 3-4 times capital invested.
Elliott Griffin Founder and managing director of BVP. He has considerable experience in raising and managing early stage and growth stage technology investments. Elliott is passionate about sustainability and finding the next lead edge cleantech venture. A commerce graduate of UCD and trained as a Chartered Accountant with PWC, Elliott also worked with Hibernia Capital Partners.
Conor Toolan is an MBA-qualified engineer whose background includes Shell, PwC and the Sustainable Energy Authority in Ireland (SEAI),where he was a senior renewable energy advisor, and has over ten years energy experience.
2. Focus on Green Agenda gives us specialism in a dynamic growth area
- A large proportion of successful companies are now participating in the green agenda, where “green” is seen as a hallmark of Corporate Social Responsible and strong Corporate Governance.
- Cost savings that are achievable for companies that implement green technology.
- Consumer demand is beginning to play its role in the business case for green companies.
- The sector will continue to have large players keen to acquire new technology and specialist business which gives exit opportunities for our investments.
- Future government policy will play a part in expanding market potential for green products and companies.
3. Investment Strategy
- We aim to achieve 17% annual return through careful selection of the businesses that we invest in, and we spread investments over a portfolio of companies so as to minimise risk.
- Over the past five years we have invested in a diverse range of green businesses and are already seeing the many positive results which have flowed from our investments. Despite the backdrop of falling stock markets, additional international investors have also been secured and these investors are attaching higher valuations to the companies we have invested in because of their high growth potential. There’s no doubt that with the right investment behind it the green sector has the potential to lead Ireland’s economic recovery over the coming years.
5. Management influence within each investee company a key objective
- We want to ensure management is committed to formal management practices and strategic business planning.
- We are committed to participating in the management of investee companies when we believe is appropriate.
- We aim to secure voting rights if we believe it is appropriate.
6. Uncapped returns for investors for each investment
- The Fund Manager intends to secure ordinary voting shares in its investment swhich means that returns will not be capped.
7. Manager’s Incentive
- The overall aim for the Fund is to generate compounded annual returns including tax relief of 17%. The Fund Manager’s incentive mean that we will earn 50% of any returns achieved over 17%.
8. Exit Strategy
- Each investment is structured with a specific intention of realising investors’ money after the standard 3 year term.